With current superb quality and good supply of West Australian cherry tomatoes, eggplant & pumpkin off our farms, what better way to enjoy all this healthy fresh produce with an alternative vegetarian version of the good old classic lasagne…..this is comfort food at its best, enjoy!
Vegetarian Four Cheese Lasagne
· 2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
· 1 eggplant, sliced into 1 and a half cm rounds
· 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
· 1 pint ricotta cheese
· 250g crumbled feta cheese
· 2/3 cup pesto
· 2 eggs, beaten
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 can tomato sauce
· fresh pasta sheets
· 1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
· 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast in oven until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grill eggplant on a charcoal grill or fry in a skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Place cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet in oven for last 15 minutes of pumpkin time; cook until tender and blistered.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture.
4. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9 x 13 cm baking dish. Lay two pasta sheets over the sauce. Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices over pasta and top with half the ricotta mixture. Cover with two more pasta sheets. Arrange the roasted cherry tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half the ricotta mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining two sheets of pasta. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
5. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and bubbly.